install problem - freezes after hardware detection

I cannot get sarge installed using installer rc3.

I can choose the lang and keyboard, it then does hardware detection it
goes to the next screen but nothing appears on screen. The system stalls
for a while (I can move to other console screens) but then freezes.

I've tried: linux acpi=off noapic nolapic
and: linux26 acpi=off noapic nolapic
with no success.

I've had Arch Linux run on the box, however it also had problems during
install with a long unexpected pause in the middle.

Ubuntu (Hoary) installed fine and ran well on the box. How different is
this installer?

The box is currently running FreeBSD which installed and runs fine.

This is a test box, hence the numerous OS's however it's typical of many
computers I have here. I've seen this behaviour on other similar
computers.

Hope someone can help.

Lyn Rees.