Testing the gtk fe with qemu

Hi,
here follow a few notes I've written as I was trying to get the gtk fe
for the installer to work with qemu. I did not go too deep into details
but it shoud be really easy to follow these steps.

For my tests I used sarge-i386-netinst.iso rc3 [1] and attilio X
environment [2]:

[1] http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/i386/rc3/sarge-i386-businesscard.iso

[2] https://debian.polito.it/downloads/d-i_xsrv.tar.gz

In order to be able to use [2] from within Qemu, I created and iso
image that qemu will use as if it were a cdrom

cp d-i_xsrv.tar.gz isodir
mkisofs -r -o x_env_di.iso isodir/

After creating an hd image test_di.img (didn't care about its huge size)

> qemu-img create test_di.img -s 1G

start qemu:
> qemu -cdrom sarge-i386-netinst.iso -hda test_di.img -boot d

boot the installer:
expert vga=788

configure network as to have loopback interface
configure partitions (if you need) as to have enough swap space

switch to console (ctrl-f2)
> mount -o remount,size=200M /dev/shm /
> umount /cdrom

ctrl-alt-2 (to switch to qemu monitor)
(qemu) change cdrom x_env_di.iso
ctrl-alt-1 (to get back to vt2)

now mount the cdrom image containig the X environment
> mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
> tar xzf /cdrom/d-i_xsrv.tar.gz -C /

now edit X config file and configure qemu ps2 mouse

> nano /etx/X11/XF86Config-4
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Mouse0"
-	Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" <<<<<<< change this...
+	Option "Protocol" "PS/2"   <<<<<<< into this
	Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

now edit the gtk fe startup script and comment out a the lines
which deal with usb mouse like this:

> nano /bin/gtk_go.sh
# modprobe usbmouse
# modprobe mousedev

remove psaux and re-create it
> rm /dev/psaux
> mknod /dev/psaux c 10 1

before running the gtk fe save the status of the VM so that
you don't have to go through all these steps every time:

ctrl-alt-2
(qemu) savevm di_vm
ctrl-alt-1

finally...