Re: On getting quik to work with oldworld machines (was: Re: Strange frequency reported by the kernel)

On May 25 2005, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 08:01:31AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > Yes, that was the point of my message. OTOH, the sarge d-i says that
> > quik won't work with a /boot partition separated from a root partition.
>
> This is mainly because the quik.conf resides in /etc. (at least that's
> why I think the d-i manual says this). It would probably make sense to
> move quik.conf to /boot. You could make /boot/etc/quik.conf and symlink
> /etc/quik.conf to it.

Humm, now that's interesting. I am Cc'ing the debian-boot list so that they
see this.

When I tried installing sarge via d-i taken from a post -rc3 version in
Sven's home directory at people.d.o, I made a separate /boot partition and
the installer refused to make the system bootable (my intention was to have
a small ro /boot ext2 partition where I would put the kernels and to use
the rest as my root device, with an ext3 fs -- I'm quite tight on space
here and having more partitions would be an inconvenience).

I will make some more tests here to see what I can get. The biggest problem
that I have here is that the battery of my system is completely drained it
"forgets" both the OpenFirmware boot-command and boot-device settings that
I configure.

I have even made a script to restore these settings automatically
(obviously not a clean solution -- but I don't have easy access to a
replacement battery here where I live).

> quik itself either uses the partition explicitly specified in quik.conf
> by the partition= statement or the first bootable partition on the device
> it was started from. You can put /boot on a separate partition. You can
> even put it on a different device if you specify the device path in
> quik.conf.

So, it's not *that* inflexible.

> > It would be so nice if it were possible to have a unified bootloader for
> > both oldworld and newworld machines that understood symlinks (the config
> > file for quik mentions that it doesn't know how to follow symlinks).
>
> That's not right either. I just tried on my ans using quik 2.1-6 and
> symlink worked just fine. You do have to stay within the same partition
> though.

I will experiment with this, then and report back what I see. And I think
that the documentation should be fixed before the release of sarge, then.

BTW, having the "image=/vmlinuz" and "image=/vmlinuz.old" symlinks managed
by kernel-image is quite handy, IMVHO.

Thanks for your comments, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/