Installation fails with "unofficial" tesksel .deb file

I've downloaded the source of tasksel 2.23 and made a deb from the source with the dpkg- buildpackage -rfakeroot command. And replaced my "unofficial" tasksel_2.23_all.deb file with the
original one in the pool/main/t/tasksel directory on my sarge iso.
So I thought this would work (just for testing purpose atm), but I get an error under the
installation procedure "Installing the Debian base system":
Validating tasksel...
Debootstrap Error
Couldn't download tasksel.

What am I doing wrong?
I haven't modified the source at all, just made a .deb out of the original tasksel 2.23 source.

Perhaps I should ask this question in the debian-mentors list?
-Thanks for any input.