archdetect vs debian-installer/kernel/subarchitecture?

There seem to be two ways to get the subarchitecture in d-i, either run
archdetect and take the part after the "/", or examine the
debian-installer/kernel/subarchitecture deconf variable. Both methods
are used variously. The debconf variable is in fact set by archdetect
when it is configured.

I wonder if we could get rid of one of these, since two ways to do it
seems both confusing and bloat. I have patches for the powerpc and m68k
bootloader installers, and base-installer, that switch them to using
archdetect. Still need to patch main-menu and anna.

Before I finish and check this in and deprecate the debconf template,
does anyone see any reasons to keep these things using the template? The
only reason I can think is overhead, perhaps the archdetect program is
too slow in some situation, although for what it does, I doubt it.

--
see shy jo