Re: boot problems

Jatin Patel wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> I have removed the SATA drive and replaced with a IDE disk.
> I have a small sarge file that im trying.
> I know ther problems with new hard ware and compliance with debian 3.05,
> I tried fedora and red hat 9 and these are not compatible either.

OK, as you have really new hardware, using sarge (AKA Debian 3.1) is sensible.

> I think it may be a problem with the laptop and burning the disks, as
> out of the seven disks, it has managed to burn 4.
> I need to make a sever out of a new HP desktop, but having problems.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly.
You downloaded the ISO-images with a laptop and tried to burn them with it?
And this didn't work for all CD's?

> When I did open the ISP image this was where I was having the burning
> problems. So I had to burn it as a image instead.

Burning it with Nero as image is correct. Sorry for the imprecise
description in my last mail.

Jatin Patel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the information.
> How current is the link below. I got this from my colleague.
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/i386/rc3/sarge-i
> 386-netinst.iso

RC3 is from 2005-03-24.
You can try the daily build from yesterday with:
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/i386/20050519/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

> I have a broadcom Ethernet adapter in the HP dx600 machine which is two
> weeks old.
>
> Will this software install everything, or can you forward me the link to
> new sarge software. Would I have to install the debian seven disks.
< cut >

The netinst image has all packages for recognising your hardware and
installing a base system.
After first reboot (= 2nd stage) you will download all additional packages
needed from a debian mirror.
So this CD is sufficient for installation.

I don't know if your Broadcom adapter is supported, sorry.

Bye
Christian