Re: IBM RS6k 43P-140 d-i boot failure

On Tue, May 3, 2005 11:51 pm, Eduard Bloch said:
> Moin Leigh!

>> [...]
>>
>> I think just appending "root=/dev/ram0" onto the end of the line
>> should get it working.
>
> I would like to, but... the load process does not stop at that line! I
> is just displayed and then it continues. I guess that is because of the
> "__kbdreset failed" message above, but who knows. Any idea how to work
> around that?

I guess you'll just have to use a serial console for now and remove the
console=tty0 line from the command line.  It should pause for 5
seconds at the Linux/PPC Load prompt to give you a chance to edit the
text (once you start editing you can take as long as you like..)

>> > I think Leigh Brown, Maintainer of solinno.co.uk, can help us in this
>> > one.  He has got his 140 running with sarge since january 2005.
>>
>> Yes, apart from a couple of caveats its working really well.  The
>
> Btw, which video cards do work? There is a PCI card (64bit-PCI in a
> 32bit-slot) but Linux does not display its console there (nothing after
> entering "boot"). The card has no numbers/signs/... indicating its
> origin, chipset or real manufacturer.

I guess if Linux supported it, it would have POSTed it.  In reality
only the GXT120P and GXT130P are supported to any degree.

>> root=/dev/ram0 argument should get things going.  For a hilarious
>> (or not :-) ) video of me installing sarge on my 140 (a couple of
>> months ago), check out:
>>
>> http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/walkthrough/sargeinst/index.html
>
> Nice!
>
>> I haven't added a soundtrack yet :-)  BTW Don't remove the
>> console=tty0 from the command line (as shown in the video) unless
>> you are using a serial console.
>
> As said, I would not even try to do that because the Linux console does
> not appear on the graphical screen.

I'd try and do a serial port install for now.

Regards,

Leigh.