Can't get past network configuration

Hello,

I'm very new to this and have downloaded the woody cd set for i386

The first cd boots properly and takes me through a set of configuration
screens. The first problem is that it does not seem to recognize my
network card (Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II).

It tells me that this is no problem because the network should start
after reboot. Unfortunately, this screen gives me nowhere else to go.
I tried setting a boot parameter 'linux root=/dev/hda1' and then getting
the system to reboot by cycling the power. When the system comes
back up, it just sits there - no boot, no prompt, nothing.

If I put the cd in the drive and reboot, the system boots from the cd
again - even though the bios is set to boot from the hard drive - and we
go through the whole setup process yet again.

Thanks very much for any help.

Jon
jblin..at..crimsonthread.com