Re: How to reinstall Grub from Debian

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 02:46, m_josenhans@web.de wrote:
> + from within Gurb (re)-installation is not possible with 'base-config'
> tool.

You can not and that will not be supported in future. Boot loader
installation is something that is done before the reboot as part of
setting up the base-system; configuring it is a completely different
subject.

> +when starting the 'systemtools-> system start' tool (Translated
> from german: 'Systemwerkzeuge-> Systemstart'), I get shown the
> identical grub configuration as it was created by Debian before
> installation of Ubuntu. This information no longer reflects the current
> grub configuration nor any change to the confguration shown here does
> change grubs boot behaviour.

This is because you have different /boot directories for each linux
installation. Grub uses only one of them, based on the "groot=(hdx,y)"
line in /boot/grub/menu.lst when GRUB was installed.
Currently it is using the one from the Ubuntu installation, not the one
from the Debian installation.

What you need is to do is RTFM on how GRUB works.

> How can I reinstall grub from my Debian installation?
> I think even after installation of Debain, 'base-config' should allow
> reinstallation of Grub. Did I miss anything here?

You can reinstall grub using grub's own command line tool grub-install
(see 'man grub-install').

Cheers,
FJP