Re: Making English the default on serial console installs

> Subject: Re: Making English the default on serial console installs
> From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:18:17 +0100
>
> There's room for enhancements but the mechanism isn't completely
> there. If one can mention a good test for deciding whether the install
> happens on a serial console or not, we can ...

Last time I looked [Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:11:37 +0000 (GMT)] there
was:
 (a) no kernel API for determening if console is serial or not. (*)
 (b) no canonical d-i "library" code to parse the kernel command line for
     evidence of serial console directives.

There is a number of udebs which contain kernel command line parsing code
but these udebs should ideally share a common "library" so there is one
place to fix bugs!

As Steve Langasek said:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=224641&msg=34
"Perhaps it would be better to push this logic into the user-params command
instead, so that other archs can take advantage of it as well?"

There was a plan in Jan 2004 to sort this out using some debconf
magic... see:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/01/msg00081.html
However I have never seen any evidence of this... However I may have been
looking in the wrong places!!!

I hope this helps pull a few threads together!

Alex Owen

(*) How did boot floppies determine if a serial console was in use... Or
perhaps it didn't bother?  Perhaps there is a kernel API for this and I
just don't know about it!