Re: RC2 Alpha installation report

Hi Ben,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:11:51AM -0600, Ben Staffin wrote:

> I just successfully installed using d-i RC2 on my DP264 system.  I had
> almost no trouble, except that the installer did not seem to set the
> default boot device in SRM.  I had to set bootdef_dev by hand before the
> system would boot.

Yeah, someone would need to cook up a scheme that lets us map Linux
device names to SRM device names, which is tricky and error-prone...

> Also, I installed with XFS / and EXT2 /boot.  This works, except that
> kernel updates  have to be done by hand since aboot cannot read symlinks
> from the XFS / filesystem.  I suppose this should be filed as a bug
> against aboot(?) but I'm not sure if it's readily fixable.

Against aboot-installer.

> The solution that I see would be to just move /vmlinuz and
> /vmlinuz.old (and the associated initrd.img symlinks) into /boot.

Yes, by no means will aboot ever be able to use cross-fs symlinks.

> Anyway, I've never touched an Alpha system before tonight, and d-i
> worked for me on the first try.  I am glad I made the assumption that
> /boot should be left as ext2, though.

Great to hear!  FWIW, d-i would have complained anyway if you hadn't
given it an ext2 /boot. :)

> Various config tidbits (no idea if you care about these, feel free to ignore):

Is there any chance you'd be willing to file an installation report on
this hardware, so we have a permanent record of your hardware in the
BTS?  http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek