2.6/ LVM/ RAID-1 - solved (apparently)

>Anyway, I created dummy dm-mod.ko and lvm-mod.ko >files in /lib/modules/2.6.9/drivers/md and was able to get >my new kernel installed.

If anyone else ran into the same problem (I found similar descriptions via Google) and is thinking of trying it, don't do it.  Although it seemed to work at first, RAID wasn't actually working, and for some reason I got *extremely* poor performance and responsiveness after a while, like a Windows box thoroughly infested with viruses/adware.

>I suspect the error occurs because you compiled in lvm >support in the kernel while some mkinitrd config file still >had a setting that theinitrd needs support for lvm.

I looked in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and didn't see anything obvious to change. I hadn't altered it since installing with the d-i rc2 installer about a month ago.

Anyway, fwiw, now that 2.6.10 is in Debian, I built a new kernel using make-kpkg --initrd and it installed and booted without any problems.  I don't know what has changed other than the newer kernel, but the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks

David Bruce
(sorry for following office-generated legalese)

p.s. Is this the right list for this sort of thing or should it go to debian-kernel?  I posted here because it was a sort of "boot" problem, but it seems this is really the installation list.

David S. Bruce, M.D., F.A.C.S.
LifeLink Transplant Institute
409 Bayshore Boulevard
Tampa, FL 33606
(813) 253-2640
The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. LifeLink.