Install HowTo: Debian on Umax Apus 3000 aka Supermac c600

Short installation HowTo
~ Debian on Umax SuperMac c600 ~

What we got and what we need:

+ The Hardware is an Umax SuperMac c600[1] with about 112 MB Ram
an 8 GB Harddisk and two SCSI Cdroms at a intern SCSI-Bus.
It got an OnBoard Grafikcard and i placed an RTL 8139C Ethernet
Card in it. The Processor is an 603e PowerPC with 200 Mhz.

+ The Computer got a kind of OpenFirmware (OF). Which can't boot
from CD. But a miBoot diskette work well.

Step1:
First of all i installed MacOS 8 on the Harddisk in an very minimal
setup. I partitioned the Harddisk in three pieces.

Noname 1: with about 200 MB to place MacOS 8
Noname 2: with about 7.6 GB to set up Debian later on
Noname 3: with about 200 MB for a later swap

After MacOS was installed i installed StuffIt. Stuffit comes along
with the Internet specific software. In MacOS 9 and above it should
be installed directly with the operating system.

With StuffIt you can extract BootX[2]. I used BootX 1.0.3 because
StuffIt wasen't able to extract any higher version than this.

Now its time to place the debian-sarge-netinst rc2 [3] CD in your
scsi drive. You need to copy the vmlinux file, placed in
/install/powermac into the "Linux Kernel" directory. Also we need
the initrd.gz. This file you can place in the top of the BootX
directory, but you need to rename this file in ramdisk.image.gz.

So we can finish with Step1. After starting the BootX App we need
to fill in the right information. So as the name of the Linux Kernel
and "use specified ramdisk".

Now push the Linux button.

Step2:
Now the Linux Kernel should boot a Linux System. And the Installation
Program should show up.

The installer works fine. There were just some mistakes which caused
me to restart the box.

After detecting the Hardware a partition tool starts.

It is easy to use and so i changed Noname 2 into / with an ext2 filesystem.
Noname 3 gets changed into swap.

The installation finished. Quik was installed too, but isnt necessary.

I restart the box.

Step3:
Now there was a little difficult part. Because after the restart the screen
just stayed black.

If the same happen on your side press command-control-power key
and after the chor sound command-option-p-r simoultan. Now the PRAM is
reseted and your MacOS should boot.

Now we need a miBoot[4] diskette. Place it into the disk drive and reboot
the system.
So the Linux kernel on your harddisk should boot.

Step4:
Now you can finish the setup.
You need to enter a password for root and create a user. Should something
fail at this part of the installation dont worry. alt-F2 and alt-F3 are
available to stop your system in a clean way.

Step5:
New Problems. I used the Kernel 2.6 during the install. But the miboot disk
only got a 2.2 Kernel, so the module part of the kernel does not work.

For now i follow an easy idea. The miboot disk is mount and readable. I found
an zImage file on it. Well, now it should be easy to build an 2.6. kernel
and replace the zImage file with it. But this later.

---
[1]http://www.everymac.com/systems/umax/c600/supermac_c600e_200.html
[2]http://penguinppc.org/~benh/
[3]http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/powerpc/rc2/sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso