[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

kernel abiname transition and security updates status

Before we can release d-i rc3 we need all the kernels updated with at
least some security fixes, notably the ones that change the kernel
module ABI, and we need to update things to reflect the new kernel
"abiname". Here's my understanding of the current status of that:

	2.4 and 2.6 updated to -2 abiname; debs not yet in testing;
	udebs updated. Until debs hit testing we cannot change
	rootskel/base-installer to use the new package names.
	Now same as i386.
	No abiname. 2.4 not updated(?). 2.6 updated, udebs updated, debs
	not yet in testing.

As far as I know, no other arches except amd64 (not tracking that) are
updated. Of the other arches, alpha, hppa (2.6), s390, and sparc have a
abiname field in the kernel package names, so we really must wait on
those before releasing rc3. arm, m68k, hppa (2.4), mips, and mipsel have
no abinames, which just means past d-i releases will break even worse
for those arches once the updated kernels and udebs reach testing. So
I'd like to delay rc3 until those are updated with the abi changes too,
to avoid having rc3 break after it's released.

Anyway, I hope we can get the new kernels and udebs built for the
missing arches in the next couple of weeks?

see shy jo

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: