Re: Updating the install manual info at the ddp web pages

On Sunday 02 January 2005 00:10, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> The information at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install
> seems rather outdated. Perhaps someone could prepare an updated
> entry? (This hasn't to be a direct patch for the WML, the text and
> links would suffice)

Thanks for drawing our attention to this!

Below the current and a proposal for the new text.

Joeyh: Can you please check.

Cheers,
FJP

===============================  OLD TEXT  ===============================
Debian Installation Manual
Installation instructions for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.

Authors:
Bruce Perens, Sven Rudolph, Igor Grobman, James Treacy, Adam Di Carlo

Maintainer:
Adam Di Carlo, Chris Tillman

with non-x86 installation and non-English language versions; please
volunteer, this is very important to Debian. Contact
debian-boot@lists.debian.org for more information.

Availability:
Released version <link>
Also available at
ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/stable/disks-*/current/install.html
Also available in the Debian package install-doc

CVS sources working copy: set CVSROOT
to :ext:userid@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot, and check out the
boot-floppies/documentation module.

CVS via web <link>
===============================  OLD TEXT  ===============================

==========================  PROPOSED NEW TEXT  ===========================
Debian Installation Manual

Installation instructions for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution.
The manual describes the installation process using the Debian Installer,
the installation system for Debian that was first released with Sarge
(3.1).
If you are looking for the manual that describes the previous installation
system ("boot-floppies"), please refer to the release pages for Woody
(3.0).

Authors:
the Debian Installer team

Maintainer:
the Debian Installer team

and future Debian releases. Help is welcome, especially with non-x86
installation and translations.
Contact debian-boot@lists.debian.org for more information.

Availability:
Released version <link>
Development version available at http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
Also available in the Debian package debian-installer-manual

SVN sources working copy (anonymous checkout):
svn co svn://svn.d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk \
debian-installer/installer/doc

SVN via web:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/installer/doc/manual/?rev=0&sc=0

Notes for the proposed new text:
- I've set Authors and Maintainer to D-I team as that was also done for
  the manual itself during last Oldenburg meeting.
- d-i.alioth.debian.org may have to be changed because of the move to
  costa. Not sure what will happen with DNS in that move.
- Maybe the 'svn co' command can be presented as one line.