Re: Activation of Oriya for debian-installer

Quoting Gora Mohanty (gora_mohanty@yahoo.co.in):
> Hi,
>   We are a group interested in localizing various
> aspects of Linux to our native language, Oriya (ISO
> code or). Currently, we are focussing on the GNOME
> desktop, and will eventually go on to KDE, the Free
> Translation Project, etc. We are interested in
> translating debian-installer to Oriya, though I will
> have to discuss it with the group before deciding
> what priority to give to it. Please activate Oriya
> for the translation.

Gora, if you attend the indlinux mailing list, we can discuss the
specifics there. Preferably the general list as this may interest all
groups.

The conclusion (which I forgot yesterday) is still that all Indic
script languages need a graphical interface for being really usable.

Such graphical interface is a goal for the post sarge release versions
of Debian Installer.

So, if Oriya translations for D-I are made, they won't be useful until
this graphical installer release.

But, anyway, I still favor translation groups to start the work as
this will certainly add a lot of motivation to all D-I developers for
resurrecting the graphical D-I project...:-)

The translation system is currently being simplified. Instead of the
multiple files you may have found mentioned in the translations.txt
file you probably read, there is now only one file. I prefer that new
translation groups start working this way (documentation is
ready...infrastructure is not completely ready...but is enough for
core D-I translation).

So, the only thing you have to do is checking out the D-I repository:

svn co svn://svn.debian.org:3690/d-i/trunk debian-installer

should work (I'm not sure because the SVN server is quite jerky these
days...).

If you can't succeed, please join #debian-boot on freenode on IRC....

>From there, just pick up the packages/po/template.pot, rename it to
or.po and just start working on it....Send it back to me as soon as a
few translations have been made.

Then I'll probably give you a commit access.

We will also need to have an Oriya locale in Debian locales package,
which is currently not the case. I've already built some locales files
but working on an existing one would be better as this is a bit
tricky.

BTW, we need such locale files for all Indic script languages except
Hindi, IIRC.