Re: Why isn't console-cyrillic part of console-data?

* Petter Reinholdtsen [2004-07-26 12:49:04+0200]
> [Recai Oktas]
> > IMO, the current situation is not wrong, due to its cyrillic
> > spefisic content it is something that should be maintained
> > seperately.
>
> I don't understand this argument.  With the same argument, we should
> have console-latin1, console-ascii, console-big5, and so on and so
> forth.

The situation is not that bad.  There are mainly three types of consoles
wrt the console handling.  console-tools for "Latin", console-cyrillic
for "Cyrillic" and the missing one console-jfb for languages with more
than 512 glyphes.  I think this is a reasonable categorization for
the things I describe below.

> And this do not make sense.  The difference is only in the
> content of some data files, and how these are applied to the linux
> console.

The difference mainly comes from the fact that each of the console
handling packages mentioned above needs special treatment and we should
leave this task to the most eligible developer, that is, the one who use
that type of console in his/her real life.  By this argument, I must say
that the console-jfb should be maintained by a Japanese developer
(Kenshi?).  That way, such console problems could be quickly spotted
and fixed.  I think this fact also ensures the modularization when we
consider it in d-i.

> I do not understand why it has to be a separate package.  I
> actually suspect the problems facing each such configuration setup is
> so close to each other that it make sense to have only one package.

Regarding the similarities I am not sure for it.  Other than it needs
the framebuffer, jfbterm is too much different in terms of console
handling.  And if you have a look at the console-cyrillic package,
you'll see that there are a lot of things spesific to cyrillic.

> One package would make sure the solutions to these problems are more
> easily shared.

I also wish to collect those console stuff in a _simple_ monolithic
package, but I am afraid that there are serious differences to make it
happen.  I tend to think of these differences stems from the fact of
language/culture disparity or richness (hope I explained my opinion).

--
roktas