Re: Minutes of #debian-boot meeting of 20040706 (was: Debian Installer IRCmeeting on Tuesday 07/06 20:00 UTC)

Rick Thomas wrote:

> Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > Rick Thomas wrote:
> > > Last night I tried installing both 2.4 and 2.6 on my OldWorld Beige G3.
> > > (using the sarge netinst daily CD from 2004/07/07)  Neither worked, but
> > > for different reasons.
> > >
> > > I've sent installation reports to submit@bugs.debian.org but they
> > > haven't yet shown up on the list with a bug number.
> > >
> > > kernel 2.6 died trying to discover disk hardware -- segfaults.
> > >
> > > kernel 2.4 died trying to install a kernel -- something about missing
> > > dependencies involving kernel modules package.
> >
> > I don't know about your 2.6 problem, but 0707 was a bad day to be
> > testing, since none of the images install at all. The second problem you
> > encountered is likely due to that, though I'm not 100% sure.
> >

> OK,  I'll try again with a later iso.  Is 0708 likely to be any better?

The 0708 netinst CD using the 2.6 kernel gave me the same symptoms
-- segfaults trying to discover disk hardware.  I think discover1
is not playing well with the 2.6 kernel.

The 0708 netinst CD using the 2.4 kernel is feeling much better
thankyou!  The only strange thing it's done (so far) is to try to
install quik on my OldWorld (beige G3) PowerMac.  It's not
supposed to do that, is it?

Installation reports are being submitted with the details.

Enjoy!

Rick