---
[!!] Partition disks
IDE1 master (hda) 82.3 GB ExcelStor etc etc
 #2 primary 81.8 GB raid
 #1 primary 509.9MB swap    swap
IDE1 master (hdc) 82.3 GB ExcelStor etc etc
 #2 primary 81.8 GB raid
 #1 primary 509.9MB swap    swap
RAID1 device #0 - 228.7 MB Software RAID device
 #1 primary 81.8GB    lvm
---

However, when I then select "Configure the logical volume manager"
 -> Yes -> Modify volume groups -> Create volume groups
it says no physical volumes were found.

And dropping back to the partitioner, the raid device just shows a 81GB
partition (no "lvm"), which when selected has "do not use".

Is something going wrong here, or am I just not doing things in the
right order or missing some crucial step ?

I'm a bit suspicious of that 228.7MB size.

The machine (dual 933MHz P3) has had no problems with a couple of beta4
installs on it in the past (but only with one 40GB drive and trivial
partitioning... this is my fist attempt at raid/lvm)

Thanks for any tips.

--
Tim Day - www.timday.com