Re: pcmcia-cs not to call ifup/ifdown by default?

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:32 +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> The variable is not present on upgraded systems so the default had better
> be to behave in the traditional way in the absence of the variable.  That
> makes 'USE_IFUPDOWN' less than ideal.  Alternative control mechanisms
> needn't be mentioned so that rules out 'HOTPLUG_HANDLES_NETWORK'.

Well, we could define the default to be "yes", although that wouldn't
work with the is_true function.

> I suggest 'DONT_IFUPDOWN' or something similar.

Yeah, let's use that. I also had it in mind :)

> /etc/default/pcmcia is not a conffile so the installer can simply do:
>     cat <<EOF >> /etc/default/pcmcia
> # Set DONT_IFUPDOWN to "yes" to inhibit cardmgr from running ifup and ifdown.
> # In Debian sarge with the hotplug package installed it is not necessary
> # for cardmgr to bring network interfaces up and down; the hotplug package
> # does this for 16 bit PCMCIA cards as well as for CardBus and other cards.
> DONT_IFUPDOWN=yes
> EOF

Not that it matters if it's a conffile, the installer isn't bound by
policy like maintainer scripts. But I think this is wrong. The
package's behaviour shouldn't change just because it's been installed
by d-i. I think that the variable should be added by pcmcia-cs's
postinst instead. Furthermore, it should depend on or recommend
hotplug.

> All I can think of to suggest is that the user be given the opportunity
> to override the installer's decisions about which interfaces to
> classify as hotpluggable.

Which isn't very good either. But maybe it makes sense to ask that
question at least in expert mode. Or maybe on all computers where
PCMCIA hardware is detected, but I think that depends on how bad the
auto-detection is :/

--
Pelle