Re: RAID1 netinst CD

Hello,

W. Borgert writes:
 > That message was meant for debian-boot, but didn't appear
 > there, so I send it directly to you.  Cheers!
 >
 > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:47:37PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
 > > Hello Paul and all,
 > >
 > > today I tried your iso image, but had not the time to
 > > complete the installation - tomorrow I will do this.  Three
 > > issues until here:
 > >
 > > 1. I'm a RAID/MD newbie: Is there a howto or manual about
 > >    what every single step I have to take to realise RAID1
 > >    using the installer?

If you are new to md/raid, then I would recommend to play with it on an up
and running system first. Create 2 partitions same size on different disks,
a few 100 MB are perfectly sufficient. Then install mdadm and read the
docs. Search on debian-user, maybe.

briefly:
- mark the partitions as 'fd' Linux raid autodetection
- create a raid device /dev/md0 with mdadm --create (or /dev/md/0 if you
  have mounted devfs)
- create a filesystem on that device like mkfs.xfs /dev/md0
- mount the new fs
monitor progress with cat /proc/mdstat

That should get you going. Once you grok that, its much simpler to deal
with it, while on limited resources.

 > > 2. I'm missing XFS in the file system list.  Is it really
 > >    not there or do I have to enable this somehow?

well, it's not yet in the menu, but it seems that the sw parts are
available. So try to do it on the shell --- give the configurator something
to do, however, otherwise it will believe that it has not successfully
created and mounted file systems.

 > > 3. It seems that the installer uses Linux 2.4.  Any chance
 > >    to use and install 2.6?

not yet integrated. But not a problem to boot the 2.4.24 kernel and then
upgrade after base system has been installed properly.

 > > Thanks for your work, I really hope it makes it soon into
 > > d-i.
 > >
 > > Cheers,
 > > --
 > > W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/