Re: m68k debian-installer call for testers

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:15:34PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:05:34PM +0100, Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:46:04 -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > >I'm working on supporting atari and the vmes, but it'd be nice to know
> > >that someone out there cares enough to test
> >
> > Well, yes I do care, but...
> >
> > >Additionally, the mac ram disks require you to use
> > >ramdisk_size=20000 as a kernel parameter. I intend to minimize that later,
> > >but for now, I doubt you can do an install in less than 40MB (my box has
>        ^^^^^^^
> > >136MB and that's the only testing I know of).
> >
> > ...so trying to test the installer on an MVME162 with only 16MB got
> > no chance to succeed?
>
> Not currently, no. If you have space to expand your available RAM,
> there's a possibility; otherwise, you'll have to wait a bit.

I suspect d-i will need a fair amount of work to support a 16MB install.
For kernel 2.2.x, we have to setup a fixed size ram disk at boot. 2.4.x
and later kernels benefit from tmpfs, but the size is still what it is.

I've caught my machine using over 30MB by random chance, so we'd need
early swap or a live filesystem cd or something.

I've put it on my todo list to look at later.

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>