Re: PowerMac G5

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:40:59AM -0500, Ronald Valente wrote:
> I have a powermac g5 and I am willing to aid in the process of getting
> any information to debian so we can have a support processor running at
> 64 bit mode. Let me know if there is anything i can do.

Well.

64bit kernel and userland still needs some work, but you could start
testing the -power4 kernel i have just anounced to debian-powerpc. It is
only a 32bit kernel, but it would be nice to know if it works.

Once this kernel is known working on G5 pmacs, we can then use it for
d-i, altough it would need a new set of modules, and a new initrd, same
as for the -small kernel-image. I think there should be no problem in
using the 32bit kernel for installation, even if you switch to the
64bit kernel later on, and as said, there is still work in progress on
that front, we need glibc support and a 64bit cross compiler for
example.

If the above kernel will not work, then we will need to resort to the
2.6.3 kernel i am preparing for G5 pmacs.

Friendly,

Sven Luther