Re: switch to partman?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:50:07AM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 23:47, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > It's dog slow on m68k -- sometimes 10-15 seconds on an 040/25
> > (maybe middle of the pack speed-wise).  I only used it to make sure
> > it works. I'm testing with partitioner/partconf because it's much
> > faster. The interface is likely to be easier to use for newbies,
> > but it's a real drag for experts.
>
> Well, I don't think that m68k is the majority of the systems running
> Debian out there. But even in that case, partconf would still be
> there to be used in case the user does not prefer partman.
> What I'm saying is that at this point it seems a duplication of effort
> to include and develop both!

m68k is certainly not a majority arch. ;-)

Although, I have noticed a bit of a revival going on lately. I don't
know what that's about.

However, if we keep partconf and partitioner around, then they will need
to be maintained. I'd rather see one solution that was flexible, and
fast enough, for everyone.

While I'm not crazy about the partman ui, the design seems to be fairly
flexible. It's definitely more newbie friendly than mac-fdisk. I also
like the idea of having one interface for all the archs, since I switch
between three on a regular basis.

Maybe once I get m68k up-to-speed, I'll write an alternate front-end and
do some back-end optimization. We'll see.

<stephen@marenka.net>