install report: sid on i386, pure SCSI, part 2

Hi,

still trying to install  sarge-i386-netinst.iso  from
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sid_d-i/netinst/i386/20040131/
on a pure SCSI system.

Hardware: PIII/500, 256 MB RAM, Initio 9100UW SCSI controller,
SCSI Disk 1GB, Yamaha SCSI CD writer

complete the install until reboot of the system. Booting from
harddisk starts fine, but then...

mount: /dev2/root2: no valid block device
[this message repeated several times]
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 347: cannot open dev/console: no such file
kernel panic: Attempt to kill init

and the the keyboard leds blink.

Booting Knoppix and having a look at the hard disk does not reveal
anything suspicious (to me), maybe with one exception:
when I mount the /boot/initrd.img-xxx from the hard disk, it
contains a file 'loadmodules' with, among other lines, one line
saying: "modprobe -k ini9100u" . /lib/modules of the initrd
does not contain any file with this name, but there is initio.o,
and also all other moules loaded in 'loadmodules'.  But actually,
I do not know how the initrd works ;-)

Maybe I should find out how to modify the initrd and then give
it one more try.

Herbert