Re: Install Report: Failure - Dell PowerApp Web 100 - Failed to detect scsi controller

Hi-
OK, I think i get it, thanks! I was attempting to install the 'testing' distribution, that must be why it didn't work.
	So the 'fix' for this is to get the 2.4.24 kernel into testing.
	OR, to build a 'testing' version of d-i.

As a side note, I have a question regarding why the netboot images need not contain all the necessary drivers? At their current size (2.1 megs) they are too small to fit onto a floppy disk, so they are mostly used by (perhaps here is where I am wrong?) those doing PXE boots (like me)? On the sizes that we are working with ( 1 - 10 megabytes ) I don't think it would necessarily hurt to include more drivers / modules in the netboot image. Is my thinking missing something / wrong, or is this something that just hasn't been discussed yet?

thanks again for your help!!!!
erik

Joey Hess wrote:
Erik Dykema wrote:

Everything seems to boot up fine, but the kernel fails to detect the adaptec scsi controller, so the installer gets to the 'Partition Hard Drives' part without any warning and then won't go any further. There is no error message suggesting that hard drives were not detected.

We currently have the following situation with netboot installs of
unstable debian-installer:

 - The netboot image needs to download the scsi and ide drivers from the
   debian archive; they are not included in the image.
 - By default, d-i uses the versions of the udebs in testing.
 - In unstable, d-i has switched to the 2.4.24 kernel. The version of
   d-i in testing uses the 2.4.22 kernel.

Therefore, if you want to do a netboot install using the unstable
version of d-i, you need to make sure that you tell it to install
unstable. This will include looking in unstable for the scsi, ide, and
other kernel modules, where it will find the 2.4.24 ones. It will also
include installing debian unstable to your hard drive, unless you go
back to the mirror configuration step after d-i downloads the rest of
itself, and switch it back to using testing.