Re: Testing cdebootstrap and debootstrap

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:04:50PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Several of the packages in the above list are Priority required, and
> I feel they should not be removed from the debian base system while they
> have that priority, as our documentation documents Required packages as
> packages whose removal will make the the system be "totally broken".
> Even if that's not true for all of them, consistency is important.
> This includes procps, varying gccs and mbr.

I'm going to change the behavior for standard and installer bootstraps
to install complete required. Minimal and (build-)chroot installs or not
affected.

> I have never seen the point of the mbr package, but whatever. ;-)

Standard i386 mbr which jumps into the first partition, lilo and grub
are able to produce them also

> If you install cron, etc, it will drag in a mta, and approximatly 50% of
> the list of what's left out.. And we've had the discussion about it on
> -devel, during/after DebConf 3, and decided Debian base does currently
> include a mta.

Currently it will be pulled in by dependencies.

> Without gettext-base, base-config will not be properly localised.

Why doesn't it depend against? base-config is optional, gettext-base is
standard.

> Without ifupdown, our current nice automated second-stage install of
> debian over the network will not work anymore. That would be bad.
> dhclient is debatable; d-i sometimes knows enough to install it or not,
> but does not in some scenarios and should always install it then.

ifupdown (important) and dhcp(3)-client (optional) should be okay?

> I have not checked the base system for documentation available only as
> info pages, but I suspect there is some, and so we should include a
> reader, as we do for man and html pages.

w3m is standard.

> Without tasksel, base-config will continue to work, but a lot of people
> will find it difficult to use aptitude to install tasks, so we need to
> keep tasksel.

I include it in installer bootstraps.

> procps is necessary for basic system administration tasks, like killing
> runaway processes. Some of psmisc is also rather commonly used, though
> less so.

procps is pulled in as required.

> Users will be suprised not to have wget available, I predict. It's used
> in lots of bare-metal disaster recovery scenarios.

Okay

> Yep. I think that these kinds of changes, which effectively change what
> is part of the base debian system, need to be discussed by debian as a
> whole on deban-devel.

The problem is, that there is no other listing of packages than the
debootstrap source. I attach a current list of the installations in
cdebootstrap. (It is _not_ in sync with neither unstable nor my public
repository)

Package		Flavour[1]		Comment
any:
apt		any
apt-utils	any			may change to standard, installer
at		standard, installer	broken dependency against mail-transfer-agent
base-config	standard, installer
cron		standard, installer
dhcp3-client	installer
ifupdown	installer
info		standard, installer
iputils-ping	standard, installer
logrotate	standard, installer
manpages	standard, installer
man-db		standard, installer
modconf		standard, installer	package is linux only
nano		standard, installer
netkit-inetd	standard, installer
nvi		standard, installer	do we need that or should nano supperseed it?
sysklogd	standard, installer
tasksel		installer
wget		standard, installer
whiptail	standard, installer	for debconf

alpha:
aboot		standard
hppa:
palo		standard
i386:
lilo		standard		superseeding with grub pending
ia64:
elilo		standard
parted		standard, installer
m68k:
vmelilo		standard
mips:
dvhtool		standard
mipsel:
delo		standard
powerpc:
yaboot		standard
s390:
s390-tools	standard
sparc:
silo		standard
alpha, i386, mips, mipsel, sparc:
pciutils	standard, installer
alpha, i386, mips, mipsel:
setserial	standard, installer

[1] currently defined:
 - standard: simple invocation of cdebootstrap
 - installer: debian-installer version
 - minimal: only essential

Bastian

--
A father doesn't destroy his children.
		-- Lt. Carolyn Palamas, "Who Mourns for Adonais?",