Re: zd7000: sarge d-i installs nice but then hangs on boot

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 04:19:57PM -0800, Robert Fu wrote:
> --- alfonso.gonzalez@amena.es wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Base System Installation Checklist:
> > [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ]
> > = didn't try it
> >
> > Initial boot worked:    [O ]
> > Configure network HW:   [O ]
> > Config network:         [O ]
> > Detect CD:              [O ]
> > Load installer modules: [O ]
> > Detect hard drives:     [O ]
> > Partition hard drives:  [O ]
> > Create file systems:    [O ]
> > Mount partitions:       [O ]
> > Install base system:    [O ]
> > Install boot loader:    [O ]
> > Reboot:                 [E ]
> >
> > System:HP Pavilion Notebook zd7000
> > Processor: Pentium4 3Ghz hyperthreading
               ^^^^^^^^

> > Ram: 512Mb
> > Video: Nvidia 5600 128Mb
> > hda1: 15Gb NTFS
> > hda2: 15Gb /home
> > hda3: 9Gb /
> > hda4: 1Gb swap
> > Network: Ethernet and modem, no wireless
> > 3xUSB1 1xUSB2.0 1xFirewire
> >
> > I have exactly the same problem as
> >
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/10/msg01911.html
> > but there seems
> > no to be any answer. My HP Pavilion Notebook zd7000
> > doesn't work with
> > debian installer sarge netinst 11-dec-2004.
                           ^^^^^^^

> > Install from CD: ok. It hangs on next boots: First
> > time stops at:"
> > ip1394:eth1:IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394
> > Ethernet(fw-host0)", and following
> > boots at
> >
> "floppy(/lib/modules/2.6.8-1-386/kernel/block/floppy.ko):
> > No such
> > device floppy: can't be loaded parport: PnPBIOS
> > parport detected. parport0:
> > PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP, TRISTATE]"
> > Disabling floppy support from bios doen't make any
> > difference. Installing
> > Linux26 and 2.4 doesn't make any difference. Knoppix
> > boots and works well,
> > touchpad works but not much more testing under it.

Last weekend I learned the hard way that the netinst CD installs
a 386 kernel, so not a 686 kernel, on Intel(r) Pentium(r) IV(pd)

> > I am able to test more and help to find out and
> > isolate the problem.

Nice offer. Realize its more then one problem :-)

Start with installing a 686 kernel [1]

about
> > ip1394:eth1:IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394
> > No such device floppy:
and
> > can't be loaded parport: PnPBIOS
we see after the Pentium IV kernel install.
I assume that it will be hotplug tweaking

Something else:
How to get refund for a MicroSoft license in Spain?

> > Regards.

> Hi,
>
> FYI, since I cannot wait for such long time to see if
> Linux would work on the new HP notebook, I switched to
> Gentoo Linux, and Gentoo worked fine for me.
>
> Thanks and good luck!

As you have a running system, please send the output of

 ( lspci ; lspci -n ) | sort

of the computer with eth1 being a firewire device.

> Robert Fu

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] Sorry, no details. I would try before the reboot to
`chroot /target` and `apt-get install kernel-image-686`
with the netinst CD. Or netbooting because I have an other
computer available as server for netbooting.
I'm not sure which CD image supports 686 kernel best.