Re: d-i support for USB target media

Geoff Soutter wrote:
> I recently installed Sarge to a USB hard disk and had to jump through a
> few hoops to do it ... here's the install report.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/11/msg01601.html
>
> Basically, d-i doesn't currently support installing to bootable USB
> devices, the appropriate USB modules are not automagically added to the
> target system's initrd so the disk is never found and the boot fails.
>
> I was wondering, is installing to a USB device something that the debian
> installer is supposed to do? Or have the USB modules been deliberately
> excluded for some reason?
>
> I looked on the Wiki and web site but this problem doesn't seem to be
> mentioned, so I'm not sure if it these USB modules are deliberately
> disabled or if it is a simple oversight.
>
> If it is something that d-i should support, and it's just a simple
> oversight, I would consider thinking about creating a patch for it (not
> that I have any idea about d-i particularly, but I can learn... ;-)

I don't know about any other d-i developers, but I have never tried to
get installation to usb media to work because none of my hardware can
boot usb media with grub or lilo and the only thing that does
successfully boot it (syslinux) is a poor choice of bootloaders for an
installed system. Also because initrd-tools is very hard-coded and sucky
and I didn't feel like going there.

--
see shy jo