Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

Sven Luther wrote:

| On these, there is a separate kernel because it is needed, not
| because you want some random optimizations. Try to install on a
| m68k/pmac with a m68k/amiga kernel to take one example i am
| familiar with, and you will see whta i mean.

Sven, as i wrote before, i didn't say anywhere that you must kill
subarches and i don't understand why you keep remarking this
bits of which i am perfectly aware of.

|> 20 sets of udebs, but just the common ones that can manage to
|> boot everything since the installer will make the proper decision
|> later.
|

| No. This works for the -up against -smp ones, and maybe for the
| upcoming ppc64/generic and ppc64/generic-power4, but for the rest
| of it, they are trully separate kernel which will not run on boxes
| they are not meant to.

ok.. let's try another example:

Arch foo has 20 different kind of subarches and each of them has
4 different flavours. For simplicity we will call them subarchN-flavM.
where M can be:
0 = no optimizations of any kind.
1= optimization1
2 = ...
3 = ...

This will generate 80 kernels as a result of 20 subarch * 4 flavours.

Now.. if you look at it from an installer point of view, you don't need
80 udebs set to boot the 20 subarches. you only need 20 udebs sets:
subarch1-flav0
subarch2-flav0
subarch20-flav0

due to the fact that flav0 is common to the entire subarch.

This kind of "optimization" can apply to all the arch. You maintain
the subarch (otherwise it doesn't boot). You kill the unrequired flavours.
This reduces a lot the amount of udebs that you need.

|> other way. This still doesn't mean that it is d-i task to
|> workaround this kind of problems introducing extra sets of udebs
|

| Well, how do you install on that box then, provided we can't fix
| the above bug, if it is a bug ?

You get to cooperate with upstream to get the bug fixed?

| Me thinking that maybe we should use -smp variants for the power3
| and power4 d-i kernels.

That's something you don't need to discuss with me, but with
the relevant people in the installer team.

Fabio

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.