Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:40:24AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > You don't generate udebs for each flavour because there
> > is not necessarely the need for it. In the i386 example there is only
> > one set of udebs coming from the -386- flavour.

> Well, maybe, i am no expert on x86, but on powerpc, you need one set of
> modules for each flavour, since they are using incompatible instruction set
> optimization : powerpc (everything from 601 to the G4, passing by some
> embedded processors), power3 (used in ibm rs6k, 64bit and more of a power than
> powerpc processor), and power4/g4.

> > | Like waldi said, it was around 200 packages 6 month ago, and
> > | probably over 400 today,
> >
> > My request of being in CC has been ignored and I lost part of the
> > messages.

> Ah, missed that also. like said a current calulation brings a total of 739
> .udebs in all the debian kernel packages. Maybe some of it is overkill given
> the small number of .udebs ubuntu has. Maybe you can have some insight here ?

> > Or for example you don't need k7 udebs, since the 386 will do.

> Sure, but this is because on x86 the flavours are mostly only different
> optimization, but on other arches this is not the case. I believe that on
> powerpc, m68k, mips/mipsel and arm at least, the different kernels are there
> because of real incompatibilities, maybe for other this is the case also. We
> speak more of subarches than flavours here really.

> > There are clearly exceptions like ppc that needs more.. i don't disagree
> > and i did never questioned this situation.

> I believe that x86 is the exception here, while the other arches situation is
> the norm, and even on x86, if you think about pure64, and 386/486 situation,
> you would reconsider this, but then ubuntu probably don't care about such old
> x86 hardware, and rightly so.

alpha -- 1 subarch -- 29 kernel udebs
arm -- 5 subarchs -- 28 udebs
hppa -- 1 subarch -- 8 udebs
i386 -- 2 subarchs -- 81 udebs
ia64 -- 1 subarch -- 24 udebs
m68k -- 7 subarchs -- 67 udebs
mips -- 3 subarchs -- 29 udebs
mipsel -- 4 subarchs -- 37 udebs
powerpc -- 5 subarchs -- 127 udebs
s390 -- 1 subarch -- 7 udebs
sparc -- 2 subarchs -- 27 udebs

At least of the kernel images that currently build-depend on
kernel-tree-2.4.27-* (alpha, hppa, i386, ia64, s390, sparc -- I assume these
would be the first to be integrated if the patch were accepted), i386 is
actually on the high end of both flavors and total udebs.

Taking all archs together, the number of kernel udebs across all
architectures and flavours seems to be 464.  If there is a limit on how many
binary packages per source the archive can handle, that probably does blow
out the limit.  I thought the limit was only on the number of binaries in a
changes file, but I could be wrong.

It would also be nice if the number of flavors required for d-i would go
down over time, but that remains to be seen.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer