Re: partman problems (sparc and elsewhere)

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 01:00:51PM -0800, Blars Blarson wrote:

> Looking into the partman bugs reports, I think all of these bugs are
> symptoms of the same partman bug:

In my opinion most of these bugs are different.

> My summery is that partman has information in memory on what the
> desired partitioning is, and information on disk.  It can write
> information to the disk without updating all of its in memory
> information to match, and gets itself into an inconsistant state.

It is possible that libparted does this when it uses sun disk labels
(but I don't know the internals of libparted).  Partman doesn't have its
information on the disk.  However there is the following bug in partman:
sometimes it considers the partition tables in its own data structures
unchanged and misses to write them to the disk.  The result is that when
the type of some partition doesn't correspond to the file system in it
partman may miss to correct the partition type and latter grub fails.

> Choosing another menu item that fails totaly can get it back to a
> consistant state.  Choosing a menu item that partly succeds (such as
> lvm) can make things even crazier.

Can you give more details about this?

Anton Zinoviev