Re: using LS120 floppies as USB stick

Geert Stappers wrote:

Previous on Debian bugreport #283279:

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:46:14AM +0100, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
Geert Stappers wrote:
About capacity of floppies:
What fits on a LS120 diskette?
Could it hold a kernel and the initrd?

Aha, well, that will fit easily... way easily... A LS120 drive isn't called an LS120 drive for fun ( :p )... It can take 120MB of data. But these disks are fairly hard to come by these days... I don't have any myself, I just use it as a plain floppy drive, it saves cabling and the likes...

But the base IDE code is already included in the current kernels right? so only the ATAPI floppy code would need to be added (and some relatively minor script changes)...

For a 2.6.8 kernel the ide-floppy.ko module takes about 19507 bytes of disk space? Do we have that much left on the normal floppy images?

Pascal,

Where you are asking others to do some coding,
what about to test the boot.img.gz
from http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/
on a LS120 disk?
Just one issue, I don't have any LS120 disks... :*( I've tried to get some before, but in vain...
But indeed, theoretically those images _should_ work.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

PS: Maybe I should just invest 8 euros in a plain ol' floppy drive :s

That will help one man, you could be helping mankind.

Cheers
Geert Stappers