Debian-install kernel and AIC-7901

I'm having trouble with the kernel in Debian-install detecting my AIC-7901. It seems there is a bug with the pci table in the aic79xx driver in 2.6.8-1 which is in Debian-install RC2.

I tried the d-i daily for 23 Nov 2004, which seems to use the same kernel source (2.6.8-1) and, thus, has the same problem. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

I also tried to build a new d-i image with an updated kernel using the d-i wiki docs, but was very frustrated by both the debian-installer and linux-kernel-di-2.6 source packages.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to procede, either by building a new d-i image or otherwise?

Thanks,
Jan Medlock