Re: debconf: country code in a base-config script

First I would suggest for localization stuff to use the appropriate
package, localization-config. It offers the framework to do package
configuration based on the locale info, without so much as changing
base-config itself.
There are some example scripts there that you could use as base.
What in particular do you want to do?

Konstantinos