Re: 2.6.9 kernel?

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 11:49:48AM +0000, Panquekas wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:03:26 -0500, Yang Zhao <zhao18@purdue.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Is there any plan to include 2.6.9 kernel soon?
> > According to Serial ATA (SATA) Linux status report
> > <http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html> ,  I think I need 2.6.9 to
> > install debian on my ICH6 powered SATA hard drive.
> > Or if I am wrong, please tell me. I can't wait to intall linux. I
> > accidentally installed WinXP SP2 and now my machine hangs once in a
> > while.... :(
> >
> > --
> >

> You don't need the 2.6.9 to have you SATA drive working.. You have the
> same problem that I do.. You need the "ata_piix" for support the
> ICH6-R/M..
>
> "This status report applies to the latest SATA driver release, found
> in (not yet released) kernels 2.4.28-preX and 2.6.9-rcX."
>
> So you need the 2.4.28-prex or and actual kernel like 2.6.9 to that
> but not only 2.6.9 :)

And, have you checked that the fix in question was not backported to our 2.6.8
kenrel ? I see at least this :

  * Fix ata_piix controller numbering in combined mode (closes: #270194)
      (Christoph Hellwig).

Which could be related. If it doesn't fix your problems, please fill a bug
report against the kernel package, so we get a chance to know about this and
fix it before the sarge release.

Friendly,

Sven Luther