Re: unsuccessful installation on oldworld powermac apple 6400/180

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 07:44 AM, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:33:45AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

As I've said before, if you can afford the disk space (big IDE
disks are cheap) the boot loader that I suggest as being most
robust and flexible is MacOS with BootX.

Ok, could you send me the MacOS installation CD? I don't have one and
mac os is no longer installed.

No, but I'm told you can purchase a MacOS 8.5 CD on e-bay for $5 or so.
I've never tried it myself.

That said, if you really want to boot from floppy, you can use the
install "boot" floppy, but you will need to construct your own
"root" floppy that is aware of the location of your real root
filesystem on the hard disk.  It should load whatever modules are
required for your hardware then perform a pivot_root operation to
the real root.

How do you change boot parameters on the oldworld mac boot floppies?
There is no boot promt where I can type them in manually.
It's really annoying to have successfully installed debian and not being
able to use it because the system is not bootable...

You can't change the parameters on the floppy without a working Linux. If we ever get-round to the clean-room rewrite of miboot with a free toolchain, that's a feature I'd like to see.

Hope this helps!

Rick