unsuccessful installation on oldworld powermac apple 6400/180

My experience very much resembles the one expressed by Wouter
Hanegraaff in:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/10/msg00475.html

My box is ide-based, however.

Booting was made using floppies from:

http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/2004-10-24/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

First I tried with the 2.6 series but met with the same problems as
already described by Sven Luther in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/10/msg00011.html

The cdrom was never detected, so I used the netdriver floppy and
installed from the network instead.

The partioning guide suggested only one partion and ext3 fs. As Wouter
Hanegraaff already reported, quick refused to install since the
partition was not ext2.

I executed a shell, unmounted /target, mounted /target as ext2, exit
the shell. Then quick could be installed (it warned me about untested
code though).

After finishing the installation and rebooting, nothing happaned. The
monitor warned "Check the signal cable".

Since the boot floppy worked alright, I would like to use it to boot the final system, instead of booting from hard disk. Is that supported? If not, any hints on how to do it?

kind regards,

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>

Never trust a message that appears to come from me but is not signed
with GPG! It is most likely SPAM or a VIRUS sent by someone who has my
adress and got infected.

My public key, ID 7050614E, is available from the HKP key servers and
here: http://sociologi.cjb.net/~hans/key.txt