Re: Dropping 386 support

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 11:34:50AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:31 +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > Has the current image compiled the patch in? (I haven't checked
> > that yet)
>
> Yes, it does.
>
> > If yes, there should be no problem at all to implement this solution
> > (as long as the patch works). If no, the d-i team will have to speak
>
> Heh, that's the rumor.  Can't say that I've actually tested it. :)

ok, time to find out.

> > up and say if a new kernel image could still be added before release
> > with reasonable effort. As most 386 machines will already fail to
> > satisfy other requirements of d-i (as RAM), it may even be acceptable
> > only support 386 via upgrades or manual installation...
> >
> > I will begin next week with some upgrade tests from woody on a 386
> > machine and could then handle the further steps like creation of
> > a upgrade-i386 directory with backported modutils, initrd-tools
> > and a current kernel-image.
>
> If someone from the kernel or glibc team had access to a real 386, we
> might be able to make (userspace) support work.  Would it be possible to
> get access to this machine?

hmm, I can make that possible (I can probably get it connected
to the internet somewhere in the university and then offer ssh access to
it). What kind of access would you need? Do you need to test woody->sid upgrades or
do you need a plain woody or a plain sarge? Chroots? Is ssh enough or do
you need serial console, too?

I will need some days to set it up.

Gruesse,
--