Re: Ultrasparc Sarge (Testing) InitRD

--- Herbert Kaminski <Herbert.Kaminski@t-online.de> wrote:

> Strange. Businesscard and netinst isos as of, e.g. 2004-10-14 from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/sparc/
> boot and install just fine on my Ultra5, except for some quirks
> in second stage. In expert mode, I never choose a kernel different
> from the default.

It's not a total loss  =/

I went back to 3.0r2 Woody and did this to "trick" it:

With nothing other than the basic bootable system; perform these steps
-- more or less in order -

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

... manually edited /etc/apt/sources.list "deb resources" to point to
testing instead of main.

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

... rebooted to make sure of any start-up errors...

Now I'm at 3.1 and researching upgrading the kernel from 2.14.27(?) to
2.6.8(?)

Wish me luck  =)
-Sx-

PS - I like Debian because it supports the three
systems I have: PowerPC, Ultrasparc, and Intel ... but

During my research I ran across Gentoo which also
supports them -- I want to see which is
(fill-in-the-blank.)

=====
-Sx-