Re: partman-auto-lvm

Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> Unfortunately the last week was not as free for me as I supposed it to
> be. So I didn't have the oportunity to thest the package for LVM support
> in partman-auto.
>
> I am attaching the package to this message. I haven't commited it
> because I don't know how the commit would interfere with the string
> freeze.  (There are two translatable strings.)

I've gotten this package working. One bug I know of is that it always
makes partitions the minimum size from the recipe. I know you had
planned to make the last partition use all remaining space in the
volume, but I disabled that for now as I don't know a good way to do
that. Also, I think it would be better if it sized all the partitions
based on the amount of free space, instead of only making the last one
use it all, and it could also leave some free space unused for later
expansion. Autopartkit seems to manage to do a good job, perhaps we
could look at the methods it uses.

Maybe using the minimum sizes is ok for now, since the partitions can
always be grown later..

The other thing I'd like to see to make this more useful is a way to
tell it to erase a disk and use the disk for lvm. As it is, only users
with an empty disk will see the partman-auto-lvm stuff.

Actually, I don't really like the day it asks about using lvm in the
partman-auto sequence now. I feel that whether to use LVM is orthagonal
to selecting what space to autopartition, and lumping them together into
one question makes some useful possibilities not be available. It is a
neat feature to use _all_ free space for lvm, but it would also be nice
to be able to select an individual disk or free space and tell it to
autopartition it using lvm.

--
see shy jo