Re: Please use gcrypt11/gnutls11 instead of gcrypt7/gnutls10

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:07:30PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> With the release of d-i pre-RC2, it is now possible to rebuild exim4
> against libgnutls11 without rendering the current d-i images unusable.
> Once exim4 has been rebuilt against libgnutls11 and has propagated to
> testing, it is possible to have libgnutls10 removed from debootstrap's
> package list.

> However, the time for this is quite short; Joey Hess has announced today
> that the last possible day for udeb uploads (such as debootstrap-udeb)
> which will be included in RC2 is Thursday.  Although it's still
> worthwhile to remove the dependency on libgnutls10 even after this
> deadline, the release schedule does not give us another opportunity to
> remove libgnutls10 from the base system after this deadline.  Making
> this valuable reduction to the size of the base system for sarge would
> therefore require an immediate upload of exim4, followed quickly by an
> upload of debootstrap.

Er... correction, when I read with both eyes open, I see that the
Thursday deadline only affects udebs that belong on the d-i initrd
images.  AFAIK, debootstrap-udeb is not included on any initrds (except
perhaps for any monolithic images being built, which don't count overly
much).  The actual deadline for non-initrd udebs in testing is 22 Oct,
which still makes for a tight schedule for exim4, but not nearly as
frantically improbable.

If the exim4 maintainers don't have for an upload to fix this library
dependency right now, I'm willing to NMU.  Also, the libgnutls11
maintainer has also been in an NMUing mood lately, and would probably be
equally as willing if he's available. :-)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer