Re: NTFS resize in partman

Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> If I understand you right, you want to say that partman rounded down the
> value, so there is bug in partman. This is what you wrote:
>
> 	"It told me the minimum size was 3.2 gb"
>
> but you didn't explain who is "it". Partman or ntfsresize? Ntfsresize
> tells the value in bytes and in MB rounded up, not in GB. And if you made
> the conversion to GB then you didn't do it correctly.

As I said, I think partman has a bug here. Regular users of debian-boot
have context that you're lacking, so I didn't explain every little
detail to them.

> On volumes with millions of files or other interesting characteristics the
> NTFS consistency check can take time and people want progress bar. I won't
> disable the consistency check because there are a lot of already corrupted
> NTFS and people need to know that in these cases they must run chkdsk /f
> first to be able to resize safely later on. It's very dangerous to resize
> an already corrupted filesystem and NTFS tends to corrupt relatively
> easily. Of course the progress bar can be optional or sorted out other
> way, too.

Of course since your current interface encourages grepping ntfsresize's
output, it's unlikely that the user will see it at all. Especially if
there's a GUI involved.

--
see shy jo