Re: NTFS resize in partman

Joey Hess wrote,

> One weird thing. It told me the minimum size was 3.2 gb, but if I typed
> in exactly that, it said "too small size". I changed it to 3.3 and it
> was ok. Rounding error? The actual minimum, according to ntfsresize, is
> 3231584256 bytes.

man ntfsresize:

       ntfsresize  conforms to the SI, ATA, IEEE standards and
       the disk manufacturers by using k=10^3, M=10^6 and G=10^9.

fdisk, cfdisk, reiser_reiserfs use the same decimal units and parted was
supposed to be converted too 2 years ago but that still didn't happen.

3.2 GB = 3200000000 bytes and that's smaller than 3231584256 so you indeed
can't resize there.

> [1] clue to ntfsresize developers: if you have to add a
>     /* WARNING: don't modify the text, external tools grep for it */
>     then you're doing something wrong; add a new command line option
>     with a decent interface!

What decent interface do you suggest? I'm listening.

BTW, _please_ don't make the same mistake as Mandrake, RedHat/Fedora, SUSE
and many other distros by releasing 2.6 kernel without unfixed parted (or
old parted without unfixed 2.6 kernel). I'm sure you're aware of the
problem because I've seen several Sarge bug reports about trashed
partition tables already.

The issue keeps trashing a lot of people's partition table and it will for
a while unfortunately, and adding Debain to this pool would make this
issue even more disastrous. _Quite_ a lot of Debian user wished this NTFS
resizing feature for over the last 1.5 year and if unfixed parted trashes
the partition table then most users would blame this features instead
Andries Brouwer for playing with HDIO_GETGEO ioctl semantic.

	Szaka