Re: No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:11:49PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, at 01:30 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
> >Hi,

> >>Arg, again. I have to checkup and see what is missing in the
> >>build process,
> >>but i will not be able to do so until friday.
> >
> >I just successfully booted the kernel from
> >http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-
> >i/images/2004-09-29/powerpc/floppy-2.4/boot.img
> >and was asked for the root floppy. (on a power mac 4400/200)
>
> Hmmm...  You learn something new every day!
>
> I think I've just discovered a major difference between the "hfs"
> implementation in 2.4 and that in 2.6.
>
> When one mounts an hfs filesystem under 2.4, there are a bunch of
> pseudo-directories with names beginning with a "." that give you
> access to the finder info and the resource forks of all the files.
>
> This feature is not there in 2.6.  (Or else I need to RTFM -- can
> somebody point me to the right FM?)
>
> Thus, running a 2.6.8 kernel, mounting the boot.img file as an hfs
> filesystem make it appear that the finder is zero length!  In
> reality, only it's "text" fork (If that's the right word) is zero
> length -- all the good stuff is in the "resource" fork, which
> doesn't show up.
>
> So, I owe Sven an apology!  As Holger found out, the boot floppy is
> perfectly functional.
>

> Now, is the loss under 2.6 of the HFS ".finderinfo" and ".resource"
> pseudo-directories a bug, or a feature?

You probably need to load the hfs+ driver ?

If that doesn't solve it for you, please fill a bug report againstz our 2.6
powerpc kernel packages.

Friendly,

Sven Luther