Sarge Debian-Installer On G3 Beige

I'm unsuccessful  booting into a completed Sarge installation using
BootX. Instead the installer begins again.

According to the BootX README, after installation, I may deselect the
ramdisk option. This causes kernel panic, having not found my root
device, which is /dev/hda7 in the partitioner. I entered it according
to the README. I understand this is an Oldworld Mac, and that yaboot is
moot for me. I do not know if working with miboot is necessary to fool
the box's firmware, and it's something I'm not familiar with.
Nevertheless ...

What I have done over the last week includes:
- googling all I can on setting up miboot. (Is this really necessary?
I booted LinuxPPC 2000 on a PowerComputing clone for years using only
BootX.) The advice is not d-i based; seems like I wasted much time. I
don't mind the few seconds' delay in getting into Sarge.

- scoured the fine Sarge installer manual for PowerPC, noting that there
is an uncomfortable amount of reference to Woody. I managed to patch
quik first.b from the console after the installer let me "Detect
Hardware" to get at my floppy before it partitioned my drive again.

Setup
Mac Beige G3/266 w/ 64MB RAM

/dev/:
hda1-6	Mac cruft partitions	hfs+	{few megs}
hda7	/			ext2	700MB	bootable
hda8	/var			ext3	500MB
hda9	/usr			ext3	1.2GB
hda10	/tmp			ext3	50MB
hda11	swap			swap	128MB
hda12	Mac OS 9		hfs+	1GB

I got no choice for primary or extended partitions like on a x86?

The powerpc kernel, 2.6.7, and the ramdisk image are from the Sarge iso
CD placed into the System Folder/Linux Kernels/ and SF, respectively.
(The system doesnt' support booting from CD.)

Can anybody see the error of my ways? Do I need a stupid boot
floppy? Seems like there's something very small I'm missing, other than
a clue.

Thanks for patience and anything that could help.

Duane