Re: No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

On Saturday, September 25, 2004, at 04:13 AM, Colin Watson wrote:

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:50:34AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
ROOT-2) The "root-2" floppy is a bunch of "udeb"s for all the
components that wouldn't fit on "root".  [This is a good design,
but it requires that "root" have everything needed to install a
udeb, making the "root" floppy even more crowded.]

We're killing root-2; it wasn't a good idea to introduce it without good
support for loading it, and everything fits on root and net-drivers if
you juggle things around a bit. Commits will come after the archive
cron.daily run today.

I respectfully disagree.

Hey, I'm just a tester. You developer guys can do what you want. But I predict you'll live to regret this decision.

I think the effort would be better spent in fixing the support for loading additional floppies to make it completely open-ended and seamless. It almost works right now -- There are simple work-arounds for all existing problems with root-2 as it is today.

Oh well...

Rick