partman on a SparcStation20

Hi,

I have a SparcStation20 with 512MB RAM and a 4.5GB hard drive.
There a several things with partman:

1. Older BIOS on sparc cannot boot beyond the first GB. SILO knows this but
partman doesn't. Thus, there MUST be a /boot partition on the first GB of the
disk. Automatic partitioning does not know this, yet, maybe it should ask
(it's like the same problem on i386 before lilo had the lba32 option).

2. I somehow remember that there was a primary partition 3 that had the full
disk size like seen here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/10/msg00033.html
Again, automatic partitioning does not know this!

3. Just to make sure:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/sundisklabels.html
is also important if you want to use LVM (I don't).

4. The automatic partitioning configured 223,7MB swap space. That's hardly
enough to even try swsusp! Swap space must be at least the size of the
installed RAM (for me 512MB even if the drive only has 4,5GB).
If I keep within 512MB, I can try swsusp (or whatever, Solaris8 can do STD
just fine, not sure about linux).

I know that this limits the layout on such a system:
1. /boot
2. /
3. whole disk
4. swap

Or maybe 2 is swap, and 4+ is the system or LVM or whatever.

Automatic partitioning is currently unusable on such a system. Alt-F2 doesn't
feature fdisk anymore :-(((
The install system should feature fdisk at Alt-F2 because it may a LOT faster
to work with if you know what you do.

Sincerly

Hendrik Sattler

        oder über pgp.net