Analysis report for localization-config

Hi,

This report is for Markos, but FYI.

Background:
localization-config is good tool for helping non-English people's
configuration. This tool is written in Perl and needs some additional
packages. Joey was afraid it will break 128MB USB media capacity.
USB media install consists from media written by hd-media, and copied
netinst.iso. So, netinst hasn't localization-config currently.
Does localization-config maintainer, Markos need to rewrite in pure
perl-base?

Test architecture:
i386

Size:
* sid netinst snapshot 20040918 version: 112746496 bytes
  (note: I found debian-cd hasn't some floppy images (such as
   *-root.img), and I fixed it in CVS. I think it doesn't affect
   netinst image if d-i netinst build ignores all of images in
   EXTRA_DISK_IMAGES)
* free space of hd-media boot.img 20040918 version: 120571904 bytes
   (block size of boot.img image is 128704512 bytes.)

* localization-config 0.98: 32494 bytes
   This depends debconf, libapt-pkg-perl, libconfig-inifiles-perl,
   locales, perl, and po-debconf.
   debconf and locales are already included in netinst image.
   I believe po-debconf isn't needed.
* libapt-pkg-perl 0.1.12: 77702 bytes
* libconfig-inifiles-perl 2.38-2: 47952 bytes
* perl 5.8.4-2.2: 3237444 bytes
   This depends perl-base, perl-modules.
   perl-base is already included in netinst image.
* perl-modules 5.8.4-2.2: 2181506 bytes
* po-debconf 0.8.13: 65106 bytes
* gettext 0.14.1-5: 1556612 bytes
* intltool-debian 0.30+20040213: 23514 bytes

Test:
Acceptable additional package size is: 120571904 - 112746496 =>
7825408 bytes =~ 7MB.

localization-config + libapt-pkg-perl + libconfig-inifiles-perl + perl
+ perl-modules
  => 5577098 bytes =~ 5MB. OK.

localization-config + libapt-pkg-perl + libconfig-inifiles-perl + perl
+ perl-modules + po-debconf + gettext + intltool-debian
  => 7222330 bytes =~ 7MB. nearly OK.

And Packages, Packages.gz, and md5sum files will be increased a small amount.

Conclusion:
It is best localization-config rewrite in perl-base only, but
current localization-config can be installed (of course non-po-debconf
version is better).

Thanks,
- --
Kenshi Muto