Re: No /dev/modem or similar created on PowerPC?

On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 03:12 PM, Joey Hess wrote:

Russell Hires wrote:
I'm just poking around on my G3/266 and I'm noticing that I don't have a
/dev/modem, or any tty that links to it. Does the d-i create such a
device only if you say that you want to install via ppp? This could be a
problem if, for example, you want to use your modem to output a serial
console (which is my situation, actually :-) In fact, I can't find (and
neither can kppp) which tty connects to my modem.

d-i does not know about modems. I think that pppconfig might set a
/dev/modem link if you choose to use it to install via modem in
base-config, but in general yes, new installs have no /dev/modem link.
Probing for modems is a rather risky business that has been known to
turn off UPSes and do other fun stuff, I don't think the installer wants
to go there.

I don't understand what a modem has to do with a serial console BTW.

I think I can clear up a point or two here.

OldWorld Macs have two serial RS-232 ports (actually RS-422, but who's counting?) one is marked "Printer" and the other is marked "Modem". In at least some models, the "Printer" port did not have the RS-232 modem flow-control signals enabled, but the "Modem" port did -- hence the distinction and the naming convention.

Russell is probably *not* talking about using an actual real-live modem. What he's probably talking about is the fact that the Mac Open Firmware sometimes uses the "Modem" port as a serial console. In order to see the stuff that appears on that line, you need to use a serial cross-over cable (also -- confusingly -- called a "null-modem" cable) to connect the "Modem" port to another machine running a terminal emulator (such as macKermit) or an actual real-live terminal from the dark ages.

To answer the question Russell is probably asking: The "Modem" port is called "/dev/ttyS0". You didn't ask, and you could probably figure it out for yourself, but just for completeness, the "Printer" port is called "/dev/ttyS1". Note the upper-case "S".

I've never been able to make it work, but I'm told that when you use kernel boot-time command-line arguments to tell the booting kernel to send it's messages to the serial console port, you should leave off the "/dev". Thus: "console=ttyS0"

Hope this helps!

Rick